[Commpsych] DSM5

Kyli Hedrick Kyli.Hedrick at vu.edu.au
Wed Jul 18 13:09:00 WST 2012

Hi Lauren,

I have not yet finished reading the APS submission concerning the revisions to DSM5, however, I am already concerned about the 'tone' taken by the APS. This positive 'tone' is in contrast, as you mentioned, with the outpourings of criticisms from many other high profile organizations.

I am also concerned about the lowering of diagnostic thresholds, the overemphasis on biological and medical factors (whilst ignoring cultural, social, political and systemic factors) as well as some of the problematic categories of diagnosis, such as Female Sexual Dysfunction and Paraphilic Coercive Disorder, among others.

What do others think?

Warm regards,

Kyli