[Commpsych] FW: [PHM-Oz] Please oppose welfare reform bill

Vicky Totikidis Vicky.Totikidis at vu.edu.au
Mon Mar 29 11:32:35 WST 2010

________________________________

From: phm-oz-bounces at phmoz.org on behalf of John Boffa
Sent: Fri 26/03/2010 6:14 PM
To: Peter Sainsbury; 'Bill Genat'; deborah at gleeson.net; phm-oz at phmoz.org
Cc: Donna Ahchee; Stephanie Bell
Subject: Re: [PHM-Oz] Please oppose welfare reform bill

Hi All,

I think there is a big difference between the denial of fundamental human rights as enshrined in the UN charter and the denial of what I think are better called privileges. Fundamental rights inlcude the freedom from hunger, poverty, homlessnesss and all forms of racial discrimination etc. Priveleges are the freedoms to choose to do this or that - the high court has just made this clear in a recent decision in regards to the privilege (not right) to be able to buy alcohol. The government is not taking away the net value of the welfare payments to people and is therefore meeting its obligation to ensure unemployed people are free from hunger, can rent a house for shelter etc etc. It is only the form the payment comes in that is being altered.  There is no such thing as a fundamental human right to get welfare payments as 100% cash - many people in many countries get nothing and their fundamental human rights are being denied in this area. This is not the case here. No internationl treaties talk about a right to "100% cash" welfare payments and the government will argue that income management is designed to ensure that welfare funds are better spent on things such as food and housing etc - it is deisgned to ensure that these fudnamental rights are better protected rather than money being spent on alcohol. There is some truth to this argument although this alone cannot jusitfy income quarintining

 Aboriginal people in the NT are not "standing on a rock", but stuck between that rock and a very hard place. 40,000 Aboriginal people (and not just the 15,000 on welfare income who are currently being income managed), and have no access whatsoever to the RDA or the NT's Anti Discrimination Act, let alone things such as the Social Security Appeals Tribunal. What I find hard to understand is that many people, who did little at the time of its imposition and its ongoing carriage, are now carrying on like it's the end of the world ... for the rest of the nation. People like Eva Cox have entered the debate for the first time and have accused some of the AMSANT policy staff of being "naïve" and selling out. This is a very heated debate.

The reality is this: those 40,000 ...  and an extra 600 new kids a year ... are being born into a situation that no one else in the country has to endure, ie, lack of access to the RDA etc. Non-passage of this Bill will extend that out indefinitely. I estimated 18 months, but there's no way of being certain of that. What is certain is that passage of the Bill will remove compulsory income management for a significant number of people, and at least allow some access to elements of the RDA, AD Act, SSAT etc.

Then the argument can really start happening about the extension of the social welfare provisions to other Territorians and the rest of the country (which in the latter case starts in 2012). My view is that it will probably collapse under its own weight and then be resticted to people as a last resort who have not enageged with case management, treatment services etc - the Cape York model. ACOSS estimates, at $4400 per person under management, the cost of 20,000 people in the NT will be $88 million a year. Let's say the rest of the country only cop income management at half the rate of the NT: that means 1 million people, costing around $4.5 billion a year to manage incomes. It's obviously not that well thought out, more so when it starts hitting people in the electorates of who ever is in power, and starts hitting middle class families-which it will. Then the argument will really hit home, as opposed to the current situation where some on the basis of pure rather than applied principles  attack the notion of just restoring the RDA in the NT, while 40,000  Aboriginal people languish. This reminds me of the Kantian postion on ethics - it is always wrong to lie even if telling a lie would stop someone from murdering someone. Ethics need to be teleological and not just deontological in my view althoug I am fully aware of the debate on this issue

This is a case of double jeopardy for Aboriginal people.

As it currently stands, Aboriginal people in the NT are basically being asked to be sacrificed to save the lifestyles of whitefellas in the rest of the country.

Sound familiar??

And with an indefinite suspension of the RDA etc, the kids being born into this reality-who have no say in it at all-will be growing up into a real "living museum": the only Australians who are excluded from the RDA. This is much more unacceptable in my view than income quarintining, equitably applied to all citizens across the nation

regards,

John

John Boffa
Public Health Medical Officer