[Commpsych] APS AGM results - Good news and...

Marion Kostanski Marion.Kostanski at vu.edu.au
Thu Oct 4 10:48:02 WST 2007

Hi Neil

I actually think there is much to be considered in the whole structure
and set-up of governance within the society.  Election issues and voting
has been a major source of contention for many over the years, however
whenever we have attempted to rectify this issue, either through
submission of a vote to the AGM or through negotiation with the Board
and CEO it has proven totally unworkable.  It would seem that there is
more at issue here than the limited number of votes...especially when
the proxies held by the board outnumber any that an individual could
possibly muster.

It is time for psychologists to start taking the risk of discussing
their concerns, issues and pleasure/displeasure with current processes
and for others of us to support them when they are "silenced" by
seemingly authorative voices which imply it is them/us who are the
problem.  Anyone who has tried to have any form of discourse with the
"office" and senior members would be only too aware of how negligent
they are in responding, communicating or advising general members of
policy changes, directives or any other such matters in any way other
than to threaten, dismiss or totally ignore the enquirer/s.

We are currently involved in developing an online forum for
psychologists to discuss and debate these issues and many other factors
that impact on our lives as psychologists; from education to practice to
research.  I will let you know when it is up and running, you may even
consider taking on a moderating role with us

Cheers

Marion