[Commpsych] "the Oz CP brand"

Dawn Darlaston-Jones ddarlaston-jones at nd.edu.au
Tue Mar 13 10:32:08 WST 2007

Hi David

As always your postings serve to stir thought. I have pondered your comments
and Adrian's' original message for some time trying to work out exactly what
I wanted to say (if anything) and have decided that I do want, and need to
reply in the hope that the questions that you posed receive the discussion
they deserve.

My first thought is that I am not convinced that there is any such thing as
an "Oz" brand of CP - it is different in many ways to the North American
model but that too is heterogeneous and it is too simplistic to think of it
as a single orientation - many of us (my self included) fall into this trap
of homogenisation. But back to Oz - there are distinct differences in
orientation, belief, priorities etc across and within the various states and
so the notion of a single form of Australian CP is misleading. (I don't
think that this is what Adrian intended to suggest though). It raises the
importance of language and the perceptions that are created as a function of
the terminology employed.

Your wider, and in my view more important questions, relate to the fact that
we are at times all players in promoting a particular reality or knowledge.
It is interesting that education has embraced so fully the terminology of
the marketing guru's and that we are expected to support this ideology. We
even promote it through the material we teach, the books we set, the agendas
we fail to challenge. Incidentally there is a parallel debate at the moment
in Australian politics about the 'values' we promote and teach in our
schools - Howard is on the record as condemning the left wing ideologies
that some academics promote without recognising that his own agenda
establishes and endorses a set of values that exclude or marginalise members
of the Australian community.

Promoting the cultural dominance of one particular set of beliefs over
another in a domestic or an international market is questionable and can
only result in a 'one size fits all' that serves the interests of no-one. It
is far more important to celebrate the diverse interpretations of CP
nationally and internationally and to engage in more frequent debate that
challenges the proponents of these various iterations to become the best
practitioner/researcher/person he or she can be.

Perhaps this is too idealistic though???

Thank you for making me think

dawn

Dawn Darlaston-Jones, PhD

Lecturer

Behavioural Science

College of Arts & Sciences

University of Notre Dame

19 Mouat Street (PO Box 1225)

FREMANTLE

Western Australia WA 6160

Tel: +61 8 9433 0567

Fax: +61 8 9433 0544

e-mail ddarlaston-jones at nd.edu.au

CRICOS Code 01032F

IMPORTANT: This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. If you are
not the intended recipient you should not disclose, copy, disseminate or
otherwise use the information contained in it. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete or
destroy the document. Confidential and legal privilege are not waived or
lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you. The University of Notre Dame
Australia is not responsible for any changes made to a document other than
those made by the University. Before opening or using attachments please
check them for viruses and defects. Our liability is limited to re-supplying
any affected attachments.

  _____