[Commpsych] FW: [SCRA-L] new vision statement

Amiee-Jade Pereira ajpsychlists at westnet.com.au
Wed Feb 14 07:59:26 WST 2007

---- Original Message ----
From: jemshoff at GSU.EDU
To: SCRA-L at LISTS.APA.ORG
Subject: [SCRA-L] new vision statement
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:09:07 -0500

Pasted below (and attached) you will find the official version of the
new SCRA statement that we have been working on for the last two
years. It is basically a set of new guiding concepts articulated by
our Visioning Task Force integrated with the existing statements of
our goals and principles.   In January after an overwhelming vote
(almost 1100 votes of approval and less than 10 opposed) the SCRA
formally  adopted this statement.  Our Visioning Task Force will move
forward with the SCRA Executive Committee to develop a process for
disseminating these new statements and developing a benchmarking
strategic action plan.

Now we need your help.  We are asking each of you to join the
dissemination by passing our statement on to your colleagues,
students, etc. Specifically we would appreciate:

If you are in an academic setting we would appreciate it if you could
get these statements into the hands of your colleagues and especially
your students.

If you are an international colleague we would appreciate you
circulating this to your colleagues and if possible having the
statement considered by your own national or regional community
psychology association. We would also appreciate seeing the wording
of your organization’s mission etc (if there is an English version).

For all of you we hope you will pass this on to your
interdisciplinary colleagues.

The follow up sub group (Deena Murphy-Medley, Adam Darnell and
ourselves) also would appreciate your thoughts on how we as a Society
can hold ourselves accountable for actually implementing this new
vision. What benchmarks can we create? How do we monitor our progress?

So please go to work on disseminating this material and please let us
know where you have sent it.

Thanks

Jim Emshoff and Tom Wolff

 Society for Community Research and Action

The Society for Community Research and Action has adopted the
following Guiding Concepts, Mission, Vision, Principles and Goals:

Adopted by Executive Committee August 2006, Approved by Membership
Vote January 2007

Guiding Concepts
            The community psychology of the future will be guided by
four key guiding concepts: global in nature; use of multi-sectoral,
interdisciplinary partnerships and approaches; a focus on creating
policies informed by community psychology and social justice values;
and research and action that promote social justice. Each of these
priority areas is described in more detail below.

Global in Nature
            Community psychology will become increasingly global in
nature. In this era of rapid globalization, local communities are
increasingly affected by global forces, and community psychology must
collaborate with communities so they effectively adapt to such
changes.
             Our vision is for an international field of inquiry and
action that respects cultural differences, honors human rights, seeks
out and incorporates contributions from all corners of the world, and
is not dominated by any one nation or group.

Use of Multi-Sectoral, Interdisciplinary Partnerships and Approaches
            A community psychology approach, by definition, must be
an approach informed by multiple perspectives. Thus, the future of
community psychology will require partnerships with other disciplines
and community stakeholders.
            These partnerships will incorporate the strengths from
multiple perspectives. In academia this approach is often labeled
interdisciplinary, in communities it is often called multi-sectoral.
Whatever the label, this approach will manifest itself in all aspects
of our work. We will partner with others while maintaining our own
unique identity as psychologists.

Influencing Policies Based Upon Community Psychology and Social
Justice Values
            Community psychology will become more engaged in the
formation and institutionalization of economic, and social policy.
These policies will be based upon the values that are at the core of
our discipline and will incorporate psychological principles.
Involvement with policy is consistent with community psychology’s
ecological perspective on community which recognizes the importance
of macrosystem factors, such as policy, on communities.
            National, regional, and international associations of
community psychologists will develop the capacity to take policy
stands as a group and as individuals. The field of community
psychology will help prepare groups to act as advocates in policy
arenas. In addition, the field will encourage and prepare individual
community psychologists to be active advocates in the promotion of
social policies that promote social justice. Community psychology
associations will organize and encourage such action.

Research and Action that Promote Social Justice
            Community psychology will become a field of research and
action that makes a significant difference on issues of social change
by promoting social justice. Social justice is defined as conditions
that promote equitable distribution of resources, equal opportunity
for all, non-exploitation, prevention of violence, and active
citizenry.
             The field will explicitly state its commitment to social
changes that promote social justice and greater inclusion for
historically marginalized groups and will see that commitment
manifest in the various aspects of the field’s work.

SCRA Mission:
The Society for Community Research and Action (SCRA) is an
international organization devoted to advancing theory, research, and
social action. Its members are committed to promoting health and
empowerment and to preventing problems in communities, groups, and
individuals.  SCRA serves many different disciplines that focus on
community research and action.

SCRA Vision:
The Society for Community Research and Action (SCRA) will have a
strong, global impact on enhancing well-being and promoting social
justice for all people by fostering collaboration where there is
division and empowerment where there is oppression.

SCRA Principles:Community research and action requires explicit
attention to and respect for diversity among peoples and settings.
Human competencies and problems are best understood by viewing people
within their social, cultural, economic, geographic, and historical
contexts.
Community research and action is an active collaboration among
researchers, practitioners, and community members that uses multiple
methodologies. Such research and action must be undertaken to serve
those community members directly concerned, and should be guided by
their needs and preferences, as well as by their active participation.
Change strategies are needed at multiple levels in order to foster
settings that promote competence and well-being.

SCRA Goals:To promote the use of social and behavioral science to
enhance the well-being of people and their communities and to prevent
harmful outcomes.
To promote theory development and research that increases our
understanding of human behavior in context.

3.       To encourage the ongoing and mutual exchange of knowledge
and skills among community
psychologists, those in other academic disciplines, and community
stakeholders so that community research and action benefits from the
strengths of all perspectives.
4.       To engage in action, research, and practice committed to
promoting equitable
distribution of resources, equal opportunity for all,
non-exploitation, prevention of violence, active citizenry,
liberation of oppressed peoples, greater inclusion for historically
marginalized groups, and respecting all cultures.  To promote the
development of careers in community research and action in both
academic and applied settings.
To promote an international field of inquiry and action that respects
cultural

      differences, honors human rights, seeks out and incorporates
contributions from all
      corners of the world, and is not dominated by any one nation or
group.To influence the formation and institutionalization of
economic, and social policy consistent with community psychological
principles and with the social justice values that are at the core of
our discipline.

The SCRA Core Principles for community psychology, when adopted, will
be communicated to the current membership and disseminated to
students, colleagues, and community members at large. It will also be
circulated to international community psychology groups in hopes of
their adoption and appropriate modification. The SCRA Visioning Task
Force and SCRA Executive Committee will develop a specific, strategic
action plan to accompany the vision and goals that will include a
process for benchmarking and monitoring the field’s progress towards
these visionary goals. We will work to keep this vision before us so
it can guide us as we move forward.

James G. Emshoff, Ph.D.
Dept. of Psychology
Box 5010