[Commpsych] APS Board elections & AGM next Wed 15 Nov - voting and proxies close soon!

Heather Gridley hmgridley50 at outlook.com
Thu Nov 9 15:21:05 AWST 2023

Dear colleagues

As those of you who are APS members would be aware, it's APS election time again, and a number of you have asked me for my views - this year we have:

  *
Three candidates for APS President-elect - we can all vote on this super-important one
     *   Anthony Cichello - former APS President & Clinical College Chair - Vic
     *   Sara Quinn - Clinical Psychologist & current APS Board member (Early Career) - ACT
     *   Camelia Wilkinson - Chair of the College of Educational and Developmental Psychologists - Vic

  *
Three candidates for General Director of the APS Division of Colleges (only those who are members of the APS College of Clinical Psychologists can vote in this category):

    Tamara Cavenett - former APS President (SA)

           *
Debra Sandford MAPS - SA
Ashley Van Houten MAPS - Qld

General Director of the APS Division of Early Careers - we can all vote on this one too

Gavin Duarte - Educational & Developmental Psychologist - Vic

Matthew Cartwright - Clinical Psychologist - NT

Bianca Comfort - Clinical Psychologist & Vic State Chair - Vic

I was quite shocked to see two former presidents nominating for the Board again. I've been pleased to see some diversity on the Board with two counselling psychs, so I'm voting for Camelia Wilkinson, who is the current Chair of the Educational and Developmental College. I have nothing against clinical psychologists in general but I do think their dominance on the Board for some years has not served us well.

For the same reason I voted for Gavin Duarte in the early career category (once I realised  we are all eligible to vote for that one!)  I put Matthew Cartwright second because he's based in the NT and appears to have a strong social conscience. Apart from the two former presidents, I don't know any of the candidates personally.
If you are eligible to vote in any of these categories, you should have received a unique URL in an email from Vero Voting. To lodge your vote, click that URL and follow the on-screen instructions to register your vote. Voting closes Tuesday morning, 14/11. The APS system is optional preferential, so you only need to number the squares of your preferred candidate(s), and not the whole list.  And if you don't think you know the APS candidates well enough to make an informed choice, read their statements and videotaped answers to member questions online. Or just ask me... (these statements now only seem to be accessible once you start the voting process 🙁)

Finally, it's important to note that the AGM will be held online next Wednesday 15 November from 3-4.30pm AEDT, so you can join and vote on any motions online. And if you can't attend the AGM but want to vote on any motions, you will need to give your proxy to someone attending by Monday 13/11 - I'll be attending and am happy to take your proxy. To appoint a proxy and/or vote prior to the meeting online visit http://www.votingservices.com.au/aps (you will be directed to a Computershare website)

  1.
The APS Women and Psychology Interest Group committee has particular concerns about a proposal to form a new Interest Group on Prevention of Family/Domestic Violence - great idea, but last time we saw the proposed Terms of Reference, there was no mention of gender inequality or power dynamics as drivers of violence in family or intimate relationship context. So unless we get to see the latest version, I'll be reluctantly voting against that proposal 🙁

Feel free to ask me privately for more info on any of the above.
Best regards

Heather

(Apologies for any cross-postings)

Heather Gridley OAM FAPS