[Commpsych] Community Psychology is rocking October - Round 2: Unlocking the Social Cure - this Wednesday 19/10 - 7:00 to 8.30 pm AEDT

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Mon Oct 17 09:11:23 AWST 2022

Don't miss the second instalment of our Community Psychology Spring Carnival - register here<https://psychology.org.au/event/23331> right now!

Social Connectedness and Health - Prof Alex Haslam (University of Queensland)

Webinar Wednesday 19 October 2022, 7:00pm-8:30pm AEDT

1.50 CPD Hours APS College CPD | Event number: 23331

Tackling Australia's most challenging health problem: Identifying, prescribing, and unlocking the social cure

If you are over 50 and you join one social group today you will cut your risk of being diagnosed with depression in the next two years by 24%. With every group membership that that you join after retirement, your quality of life increases by 10%, and your life expectancy increases by about 3%. Group life is an important determinant of well-being and health, yet its importance is rarely discussed, and far less explained.

This session will explain how groups exert a profound impact on our psychology and health through their capacity to be internalized within the self as part of our social identity (a sense of the self as ‘we' and ‘us', not just ‘me' and ‘I'). It will show that when this occurs, groups are a gateway not only to social support but also to a sense of meaning, belonging, purpose, and agency - factors that in turn have powerful consequences for our psychological and social functioning. They also play a key role in tackling epidemics of anxiety and loneliness that are a scourge of contemporary Western society. Prof Haslam discusses how these ideas can be translated into practice through targeted social prescribing and a novel theory-derived intervention: Groups 4 Health.

Please click here for bookings and more information: APS Events: 23331 | APS (psychology.org.au)<http://be.psychology.org.au/ls/click?upn=xftCvoRZRbcW1HUP8zfNNHlKHn-2BRycHmgiAtSqrfIbD1PiiEnx2nn8H-2BUX-2Fn06rPDdXy_LkNaGjuMCrzJijP9uh5w51wVkQcRLq1ZICyrjgtqsTs0CM1mbFlCVe7Dmmp7Fe11USTyOsmWWMx1lDEtYjr-2BaBojczQMuv36p90mtnlTeWc6K46tDruQoZt-2FAqgMzxm0ewuBdDBJwuRtYsL907zrf1ILnRNWV3t147-2Be4OEex-2FZ2nB4QYvY92gXSihQ2l2JRu7AabxUzNJkIm-2BIqUJwjZ75Fjh53dx60jJjo-2BYtxPwo-3D>

Heather Gridley OAM FAPS

Honorary Fellow

College of Health and Biomedicine

Victoria University