[Commpsych] Fw: Donate Now to Support Aboriginal Victorian Communities Bushfire Appeal

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Thu Jan 16 14:11:54 AWST 2020

Hello everyone - I've been asked to share this message about an option to support Victorian Aboriginal communities affected by the terrible bushfires this summer that have received world-wide attention - and are still burning, despite some rain relief in the past few days.

The Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (VACCHO) has, at the request of ACCHOs in the Gippsland region, established a central point for funds directed towards bushfire relief for the Aboriginal community in Victoria. VACCHO is the peak body and leading advocate for the health of Aboriginal peoples in Victoria with a membership of 31 Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations (ACCHOs). VACCHO also works closely with partner organisations, Government and non-Government Community sector organisations across Victoria and nationally.

Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations (ACCHOs) are controlled by, and accountable to, Aboriginal people in those areas in which they operate. Each ACCHO aims to deliver holistic, comprehensive and culturally appropriate health care to the community that controls it. There are likely to be parallel collection points for donations to communities on other fire-affected states (which is pretty much every state/territory, although damage is most widespread in Victoria and New South Wales).
Many thanks
Heather Gridley

Honorary Fellow

College of Health and Biomedicine