[Commpsych] SPECIAL OFFER TO APS Community College members – FREE WEBINAR THIS TUESDAY 4 APRIL: Beyond diagnosis – what else matters to clients’ health and wellbeing?

Helen Killmier helen.killmier at lifeassist.org.au
Fri Mar 31 16:57:35 WST 2017

Dear Member

I’m pleased to let you know that the APS Public Interest team has managed to negotiate a special deal for Community College members on the APS Institute Webinar Series on the Social Determinants of Health (SDoH) that starts next Tuesday evening, 4 April – details at https://www.psychology.org.au/APSinstitute/webinars/  You will be able to register FOR NO CHARGE for the first webinar, and if you subsequently sign up for the full series (or for individual webinars 2, 3 or 4), you would then pay the full fee as previously advertised. We understand that the term SDoH may be unfamiliar to many psychologists, so we’re keen for as many people as possible to participate in this first, introductory webinar.

TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS SPECIAL OFFER, PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK AND COMPLETE THE SPECIAL FORM TO REGISTER:
https://aps-forms.formstack.com/forms/the_bigger_picture_webinar_registration

This is a great opportunity to tap into some practice wisdom about how to factor the Social Determinants of Health into ALL our work. As all community psychologists know,  social and emotional health and wellbeing are impacted by a wide range of  variables often termed social determinants; these variables encompass the physical, economic, political, and social environment as well as personal factors. So when we consider someone’s mental health, taking these determinants into account is critical to effective case formulation and intervention. But how do they really impact? What more do we need to know?

While most psychologists are aware that the social context of people’s lives is important, and Indigenous communities have been telling us as much for many years, we don’t always know what to do about it at an individual client level, or more broadly when working with groups or conducting research. This webinar series will explore the value of utilising a Social Determinants of Health (SDoH) approach to expand the way we think about mental health to include how to help people keep it, not just how to get it back. Our eight selected presenters include community psychologists Briony Kercheval & Heather Gridley and Indigenous psychologist Dennis McDermott, Director of the Poche Centre for Indigenous Health and Well-Being, as well as counselling psychologist and tireless advocate for women recovering from domestic violence, Carmel O’Brien.  Briony will draw on her work in private practice with transgender young people to explore the application of the SDoH resource to enhance our understandings about the role of advocacy, training and education, consultation and engagement and contextualising practice in supporting young transgender clients.
Case study and  practice examples will be explored by practitioners working with a diverse range of clients and communities including young people, clients experiencing violence and discrimination, and rural, regional, remote and Indigenous communities. These engaging presenters will discuss how to embed an SDoH approach in everyday psychological practice and how this can improve outcomes for the clients and communities we serve. Applications of a resource to assist mental health professionals to incorporate an SDoH approach into their practice will also be explored.
So join us, and our expert group, as we explore this critical new way to think about what matters most in psychological practice – the first, FREE OF CHARGE webinar is next Tuesday, 4th April , 7-8.30pm AEST and features Professor Debra Rickwood, 2016 recipient of the APS Community College's Robin Winkler Award and Chief Scientific Adviser to headspace, along with Heather Gridley from the APS Public Interest team.

TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS SPECIAL OFFER, PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK AND COMPLETE THE SPECIAL FORM TO REGISTER:
https://aps-forms.formstack.com/forms/the_bigger_picture_webinar_registration

Please follow the link provided to register, any email replies to apsinstitute at psychology.org.au<mailto:apsinstitute at psychology.org.au>

Helen Killmier | Executive Manager Disability Solutions
Email  helen.killmier at lifeassist.org.au

UnitingCare lifeAssist
Ground Floor, Building 5 | Brandon Business Park
530-540 Springvale Road | Glen Waverley | VIC 3150
Phone (03) 9239 2500 | Fax (03) 9239 2522

Proud member of [cid:imagea401bd.JPG at 0b9b1368.4687a458] <http://www.unitingcare.org.au/>
[lifeAssist]<http://www.lifeassist.org.au>
[Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/UCLifeAssist>  [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/UCLifeAssist>   [LinkedIn] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/unitingcare-lifeassist>
[linkAssist]<http://www.linkassist.net.au>

UnitingCare lifeAssist is committed to achieving “A good life for all”.  lifeAssist is a founding agency of Uniting (Victoria and Tasmania)<http://victas.uca.org.au/>.

UnitingCare lifeAssist acknowledges the First Australians as the traditional custodians of the continent, whose cultures are among the oldest living cultures in human history. We pay respect to the elders of the community and extend our recognition to their descendants.

Please consider the environment! Before printing this e-mail message, ask yourself whether you really need a hard copy.

This information is privileged and confidential, and is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, copying or use of the information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please destroy/delete the information and notify the sender via return e-mail.