[Commpsych] Beyond diagnosis – what else matters? Webinar series starts next Tue, 4 April, 7-8.30pm

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Mon Mar 27 14:56:26 WST 2017

Beyond diagnosis – what else matters to clients’ health and wellbeing?

The APS Institute is excited to be hosting a new Webinar Series “Beyond diagnosis – what else matters to clients’ health and wellbeing?” This is a great opportunity to tap into some practice wisdom about how to factor the Social Determinants of Health into ALL our work. As we know, health and wellbeing are impacted by a wide range of  variables often termed social determinants; these variables encompass the physical, economic, political, and social environment as well as personal factors. So when we consider someone’s mental health, taking these determinants into account is critical to effective case formulation and intervention. But how do they really impact? What more do we need to know?

While most psychologists are aware that the social context of people’s lives is important, we don’t always know what to do about it at an individual client level, or more broadly when working with groups or conducting research. This webinar series will explore the value of utilising a Social Determinants of Health (SDoH) approach to expand the way we think about mental health to include how to help people keep it, not just how to get it back. Eight selected presenters will discuss how to embed an SDoH approach in everyday psychological practice and how this can improve outcomes for the clients and communities we serve.
Case study and  practice examples will be explored by practitioners working with a diverse range of clients and communities including young people, clients experiencing violence and discrimination, and rural, regional, remote and Indigenous communities. Applications of a resource to assist mental health professionals to incorporate an SDoH approach into their practice will also be explored. Listen here<https://webmail.vu.edu.au/owa/redir.aspx?C=EodhAsq51KujIqTWgF--qRuOP1qkNdLyVD_jboi2DulFnNhF03TUCA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.psychology.org.au%2fContent.aspx%3fID%3d7624> to three clinical, counselling and community psychologists discussing the relevance of this approach in their work. So join us, and our expert group, as we explore this critical new way to think about what matters most in psychological practice – the first webinar is next Tuesday, 4th April , 7-8.30pm AEST and features Professor Debra Rickwood, 2016 recipient of the APS Community College's Robin Winkler Award and Chief Scientific Adviser to headspace, along with Heather Gridley from the APS Public Interest team.

  *   You can register for individual webinars or receive a substantial discount if you register for all 4<http://www.psychology.org.au/Events/OnlineTrainingRegistration.aspx?ID=7863&EventID=17463> - register here.<https://www.psychology.org.au/APSinstitute/webinars/>
Or email me if you have any questions.

Heather

Heather Gridley | Manager, Public Interest
The Australian Psychological Society Limited
Level 11, 257 Collins Street Melbourne VIC 3000
PO Box 38, Flinders Lane VIC 8009
03 8662 3327 (except Wednesdays)
Mobile: 0419 113731 | Fax: 03 9663 6177
Email: h.gridley at psychology.org.au<mailto:h.gridley at psychology.org.au>
www.psychology.org.au<http://www.psychology.org.au/>

If you receive this email by mistake please notify the sender and destroy all copies of this email. The views expressed in this email are taken to be those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically attributes those views to The Australian Psychological Society Ltd and is authorised to do so. The Australian Psychological Society Ltd accepts no liability for any damage caused as a result of your receipt of this email or any attachments.

This email, including any attachment, is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. It is confidential and may contain personal information or be subject to legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient any use, disclosure, reproduction or storage of it is unauthorised. If you have received this email in error, please advise the sender via return email and delete it from your system immediately. Victoria University does not warrant that this email is free from viruses or defects and accepts no liability for any damage caused by such viruses or defects.