[Commpsych] FW: 13th Trans-Tasman Community Psychology Conference

Lauren Breen Lauren.Breen at curtin.edu.au
Fri May 30 11:04:06 WST 2014

Hi everyone,

Please see below and attached for further information about the upcoming Trans-Tasman conference.

Kind regards,
Lauren

Following requests from members, the organising committee has extended the deadline for submission to this year's conference to accommodate those heading to ICAP and other Northern hemisphere conferences.

 Submission deadline for
abstracts: 26th July 2014

Contact:contact at communitypsych.org<mailto:contact at communitypsych.org>   www.communitypsych.org<http://email.psychology.org.au/wf/click?upn=IeNAb-2BQI-2BN6bgcrp6VSlw7VyiJLh-2Bt6L-2BNvLNtFDGvUygjZ3KLJHADpdpOw9k7j4_0S20wIqdYjOXfqRPcThwUMIjhaRkK-2F8nz4xo9wc4dZ-2Ffv5QkN3-2Fu1ky3i7Wan776Q2XpYzBPe58WyhhTzm69h2T58G4Sakl0sILlajA-2Fuh-2B9i3uaqvvjkdg1cqZa0XK4c-2Fk-2B-2FLsFKUXu0KZFH9hJp3Bcm0TpZw6U7j6tweZLKAFcuEsdcxe-2BFjURvMvwVJQxQOPP2baDoDr-2BTjebmdRlAQ-3D-3D>

We invite submissions in the following formats that provoke critical analysis, thought, debate and encourage presenters to employ greater opportunities for conversation in their submissions - do not feel constrained to produce
conventional presentations.

TOWN HALL MEETING - debate, discussion, & conversation

SYMPOSIA - interconnected themed papers

NUTS & BOLTS - how to/practice forum

POSTER - maximum size BO (1metre X 1.4 metres portrait orientation)

Confirmed key note speakers include Pat Dudgeon,
Linda Nikora, Victoria Hovane, & Ian Parker

The specific focus of the conference is to revisit the critical foundations of community psychology to promote critical reflexivity and identify opportunities for change. There is an explicit emphasis on decolonisation to decentre dominant and privileged voices.

Rather than providing specific themes, we draw on Tanaka[1]
to pose questions that speakers might utilise to stimulate thinking and
encourage debate and discussion:

Voice: who has the right/power/opportunity to speak and be heard? Who is silenced by those who speak? Who speaks without authority, particularly in colonised spaces?

Power: how do the multiple manifestations of power and resistance play out in our
discipline and the spaces we occupy? Do we examine how power and knowledge are connected?

Authenticity: do we understand that we are situated in our own cultural space that includes issues of social, economic, and political power? What boundaries are
consciously and unconsciously crossed in our practice and who is silenced by
this?

Reflexivity: do we as individuals explore our place in society and our role in constituting the taken-for-granted norms that operate? Do we understand that our communities are cultural places and that we contribute to its creation?

Reconstitution:
are we able to effect change and create environments conducive to self-determination and empowerment?

We look
forward to seeing you in Perth in November

Conferenceorganising committee

________________________________

[1] Tanaka, G. (2002).
Higher education's self-reflexive turn: Toward an intercultural theory of
student development. The Journal of Higher Education, 73, 263-296.

Sent by APS - College of Community Psychologists - National

The email is intended solely for members of the APS Member Group sending this email, or those persons to whom it is specifically addressed by the sender. It may contain confidential and copyright material. If you have received this email by mistake please notify the sender and destroy all copies of this email, whether in hard or electronic copy.

You can unsubscribe<http://email.psychology.org.au/wf/click?upn=IeNAb-2BQI-2BN6bgcrp6VSlw6Xd1penPouIsJBqSrqmD5xY0lMaBEJpkMJTk8w4JcLURbwwm9WPU4Uz7WvaF-2BGv8Q-3D-3D_0S20wIqdYjOXfqRPcThwUMIjhaRkK-2F8nz4xo9wc4dZ-2Ffv5QkN3-2Fu1ky3i7Wan776Q2XpYzBPe58WyhhTzm69h-2BI7WyaEzuDD9l10BmcuMwAysYsKXF1NbRSe0bKQDpWPx1sRI-2BPcEc8OEjbKPztl9WKR382pnKIQQa2orkOtjXqIFpCXpVSYvdj9XJj-2BUkd9vW-2BfVeAFy05FNIcZR2OVCw-3D-3D> to this email by going into Manage Membership on the APS website and clicking 'Email Subscriptions'. If you are not a member of APS, you can unsubscribe to this email by notifying the sender.

Any commentary or personal views of the sender expressed in this email are those of the individual sender and not the APS except where the sender specifically attributes those views to the APS and is authorised to do so.

If you wish to make a complaint about the use of this service, please send the details to a.terrington at psychology.org.au<mailto:a.terrington at psychology.org.au>. The APS does not represent, warrant or guarantee that this email is free of errors, virus or interference and accepts no liability for any damage caused as a result of your receipt of this email or any links or attachments.

The APS is committed to protecting its members' and customers' privacy. A copy of the APS Privacy Policy is available at www.psychology.org.au/privacy<http://email.psychology.org.au/wf/click?upn=IeNAb-2BQI-2BN6bgcrp6VSlw6Xd1penPouIsJBqSrqmD5xpVArs7BMaoE-2ByCX0lgtsA_0S20wIqdYjOXfqRPcThwUMIjhaRkK-2F8nz4xo9wc4dZ-2Ffv5QkN3-2Fu1ky3i7Wan776Q2XpYzBPe58WyhhTzm69h57i5L7G8rXvoQF29tAC211EITsoJTcCTTrHcH5cM7zO3F-2FKVJe-2BQ9cEqUFAzon3aU1JIUNM0NEWRTRi-2B8Q3vftfJsT0aZ-2FahYYXbS9kR71ZZslfuKRnziArOcctwuNzNw-3D-3D>

IMPORTANT: This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you should not disclose, copy, disseminate or otherwise use the information contained in it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete or destroy the document. Confidential and legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you. The University of Notre Dame Australia is not responsible for any changes made to a document other than those made by the University. Before opening or using attachments please check them for viruses and defects. Our liability is limited to re-supplying any affected attachments.