[Commpsych] Event – Social Cities – Grattan Institute - BMW Edge 28 March 2012 and streamed live

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Fri Mar 9 13:56:29 WST 2012

This event will stream live if you can't get there in person - looks like a good PD opportunity for community psychologists

http://bsllibrary.org.au/events/event-social-cities-grattan-institute-16961/

Event – Social Cities – Grattan Institute

Melbourne, 28 March 2012

Humans are social animals: relationships are critical to our wellbeing. Grattan’s new report, Social Cities, argues that the way we build and organise our cities is crucial to the quantity and quality of social connection, which in turn is critical to our psychological and physical health. Of course many other factors also influence our levels of connectedness – from individual disposition to family situation – but some kinds of urban design can encourage social connection, while others may ‘build in’ isolation.

The capacity of growing Australian cities to absorb larger populations and improve quality of life for all residents will depend to a considerable degree on the extent to which the urban environment promotes or hinders social connection. Our report, due for release late March, aims to put social connection firmly on the agenda for decision-making about cities at every level – from the overall shape of the city, to neighbourhoods, streets and buildings.

Report author Jane-Frances Kelly will discuss the report and its recommendations with leading economist Professor Ian Harper in a conversation chaired by Peter Mares.

About the speakers

Jane-Frances Kelly, Grattan’s Cities Program Director, spent three years in the British Prime Minister’s Strategy Unit. She has led strategy work for the UK, Queensland, Victorian and Commonwealth Governments. She also worked for the Vice-Chancellor at the University of Melbourne, the Chief Commissioner for Victoria Police, Noel Pearson at the Cape York Institute, and the Boston Consulting Group.

Emeritus Professor Ian Harper is one of Australia’s best-known economists. He has worked at the highest level with governments, banks, corporations and leading professional services firms. He was at the forefront of financial market reform in Australia as a member of the celebrated Wallis Inquiry and was inaugural Chairman of the Australian Fair Pay Commission. After a 25-year career in academic life, Ian left the Melbourne Business School in 2008 to become a Director of Access Economics. When Deloitte acquired Access in March 2011 Ian joined Deloitte Access Economics as a Partner.

Peter Mares joined Grattan Institute as Cities Program Fellow in early 2012 after a career as a reporter and presenter with the ABC.

For those not able to attend in person, this event will be streamed live. Please note that there is no need to register for the live stream, simply access the link at the scheduled event time to view online.

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Registration at 5:45 pm

Seminar 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm

BMW Edge

Federation Square

Swanston Street

Melbourne VIC 3000

For further information please telephone 03 8344 3637 or visit our website at www.grattan.edu.au<http://www.grattan.edu.au/>

This email, including any attachment, is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. It is confidential and may contain personal information or be subject to legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient any use, disclosure, reproduction or storage of it is unauthorised. If you have received this email in error, please advise the sender via return email and delete it from your system immediately. Victoria University does not warrant that this email is free from viruses or defects and accepts no liability for any damage caused by such viruses or defects.