[Commpsych] FW: "Selling Sickness, 2013: People before Profits": Call for Papers

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Tue Jun 26 14:35:25 WST 2012

Thanks Lauren - looks great.

And in similar vein, people might like to listen to this morning's Life Matters - I think it would be legitimate to listen in work time and count it as CPD:
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lifematters/dsm-v/4092662

Heather

________________________________
I am sending you the official call for papers for our international conference, "Selling Sickness 2013: People before Profits." Please circulate it to your friends, colleagues and any listservs you might be on. I hope you will plan to attend. For further information, see our conference website: www.sellingsickness.com<http://www.sellingsickness.com>

Thanks for all your support.

Regards from New York,

Leonore Tiefer

CALL FOR PAPERS

SELLING SICKNESS, 2013: PEOPLE BEFORE PROFITS

Washington, D.C.

February 20-22, 2013

www.sellingsickness.com<http://www.sellingsickness.com>

            An independent international interdisciplinary conference will bring together academic scholars, healthcare reformers, progressive health journalists and consumer advocates to examine and challenge the global tide of disease-mongering and move towards A NEW HEALTH SOCIAL MOVEMENT. The conference is cosponsored by grassroots and established organizations.

Special aspects of the conference include:
            • BOOKTIVISM workshops on disease-mongering reading groups, with start-up instructions and annotated reading and film lists.
            • A FINAL STATEMENT to be released after the conference as a collaboration of academics, journalists and consumer advocates. It will be published in the British Medical Journal and other press outlets and disseminated by conference co-sponsors.
            • A GOOD NEWS EXHIBIT HALL featuring progressive health/pharma-reform-centered projects, organizations, and groups from academic, journalist and consumer worlds, All registrants can apply for low-fee space in the GNEH.
            • INTERACTIVE WORKSHOPS on using social media and developing curricula to challenge disease-mongering.
            • PERSONAL NARRATIVES of grass-roots activists, whistleblowers, student organizers and crusaders within medicine

 The CALL FOR PAPERS<http://sellingsickness.com/call-for-papers/> is now available on the conference website, including instructions for the four types of proposals being invited.

The DEADLINE for proposals is October 1, 2012.
Contact  Jessica at sellingsickness.com<mailto:Jessica at sellingsickness.com> with any questions.

This email, including any attachment, is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. It is confidential and may contain personal information or be subject to legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient any use, disclosure, reproduction or storage of it is unauthorised. If you have received this email in error, please advise the sender via return email and delete it from your system immediately. Victoria University does not warrant that this email is free from viruses or defects and accepts no liability for any damage caused by such viruses or defects.