[Commpsych] FW: "Selling Sickness, 2013: People before Profits": Call for Papers

Lauren Breen Lauren.Breen at curtin.edu.au
Tue Jun 26 14:29:36 WST 2012

From: Leonore Tiefer [mailto:ltiefer at mindspring.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 26 June 2012 10:10 AM
To: ISCHP list
Subject: "Selling Sickness, 2013: People before Profits": Call for Papers

Dear list:

I am sending you the official call for papers for our international conference, "Selling Sickness 2013: People before Profits." Please circulate it to your friends, colleagues and any listservs you might be on. I hope you will plan to attend. For further information, see our conference website: www.sellingsickness.com<http://www.sellingsickness.com>

Thanks for all your support.

Regards from New York,

Leonore Tiefer

CALL FOR PAPERS

SELLING SICKNESS, 2013: PEOPLE BEFORE PROFITS

Washington, D.C.

February 20-22, 2013

www.sellingsickness.com<http://www.sellingsickness.com>

            An independent international interdisciplinary conference will bring together academic scholars, healthcare reformers, progressive health journalists and consumer advocates to examine and challenge the global tide of disease-mongering and move towards A NEW HEALTH SOCIAL MOVEMENT. The conference is cosponsored by grassroots and established organizations.

Special aspects of the conference include:
            * BOOKTIVISM workshops on disease-mongering reading groups, with start-up instructions and annotated reading and film lists.
            * A FINAL STATEMENT to be released after the conference as a collaboration of academics, journalists and consumer advocates. It will be published in the British Medical Journal and other press outlets and disseminated by conference co-sponsors.
            * A GOOD NEWS EXHIBIT HALL featuring progressive health/pharma-reform-centered projects, organizations, and groups from academic, journalist and consumer worlds, All registrants can apply for low-fee space in the GNEH.
            * INTERACTIVE WORKSHOPS on using social media and developing curricula to challenge disease-mongering.
            * PERSONAL NARRATIVES of grass-roots activists, whistleblowers, student organizers and crusaders within medicine

 The CALL FOR PAPERS<http://sellingsickness.com/call-for-papers/> is now available on the conference website, including instructions for the four types of proposals being invited.

The DEADLINE for proposals is October 1, 2012.
Contact  Jessica at sellingsickness.com<mailto:Jessica at sellingsickness.com> with any questions.