[Commpsych] White Ribbon Day message you can forward in your networks

Catherine DArcy Catherine.DArcy at kchs.org.au
Wed Nov 24 13:50:24 WST 2010

In Australia, we are brought up on the notion that this is "the Lucky Country."  And in so many ways, it is! We have great weather, wonderful lifestyles, a relatively harmonious political landscape, and a strong and flexible social fabric. (Although we do have an average cricket team - just thought I'd throw that in as a POM and given the Ashes also start tomorrow)

But in this lucky country, a basic human right is violated, many times over, every single day. What is that violation, you ask?

One in three Australian women will experience physical or sexual violence in their lifetimes. The harm to those individuals, their children and families is enormous. And the nation bears costs too, through considerable health, social and business impacts on our economy.

It's because of this horrifying statistic that I am so proud to be an Ambassador for the White Ribbon Foundation. The White Ribbon Foundation has one very simple goal: to prevent this violence against women. They work on this throughout the year through a range of activities which culminate on White Ribbon Day, November 25, the United Nations' International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.

How can you help?

This year, White Ribbon is calling on as many people as possible to "Swear and Wear." That is, to:

*         Swear - I'm asking you to swear never to commit, excuse or remain silent about violence against women. You can swear at www.myoath.com.au<http://www.myoath.com.au/>.

*         Wear - On White Ribbon Day (November 25), wear a White Ribbon or Wristband as a visual display of that commitment. You can find them at retail outlets across Australia, including Suzanne Grae, AHG, Lifeline Stores, The Body Shop and Salvos Stores. Or you can purchase them online by clicking on this link here<http://www.whiteribbonday.org.au/purchase.aspx?option=1>, or purchase the ribbons in the staff kitchen or I have a number of wrist bands if you prefer.

By supporting White Ribbon, you are helping us to make the campaign to end violence against women effective and sustainable. You are taking active steps to ensure that Australia becomes a safer place for all women. Because that's one thing that shouldn't be a question of luck.

Thanks for supporting White Ribbon!

Kind regards,

Chris Potter
CEO, Knox Community Health Service
1063 Burwood Highway,
Ferntree Gully 3156

DISCLAIMER: The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error. Thank you.