[Commpsych] 11th Trans-Tasman Community Psychology Conference

Katie Thomas Katie.Thomas at curtin.edu.au
Tue Jul 21 10:18:58 WST 2009

Dear All,

I would like to thank all of those who contributed to the the Trans Tasman and would also like to make special mention of Anne Sibbel, Lauren Breen and Amiee Jade Pember who worked tirelessly throughout the Conference.  They personally attended to the multitude of details required and the lack of 'minions' (often evident at some Conferences), spoke highly not only to their personal ethics but also to the grounded community ethics of their approach.

I would also like to acknowledge the work of Lauren Breen which has been ceaseless over at least the past six months.  As all of us know, a conference like this does not occur without countless hours of unseen and unpaid labour behind the scenes.  In this case Lauren handled a huge administrative load without the paid administrative support accessible to many conference organizers. A very special thank you to you Lauren.  I think we, as a discipline, are very fortunate to have people of the calibre of Lauren, Anne and Amiee Jade whose unpaid labour in journal editing and organization places us in a good position as we face urgent advocacy needs with the APS.  All of those who attended the conference owe the three of you, in particular, personal gratitude for creating a fantastic conference in less than optimal political and financial conditions.

The isse of discipline legitimation is an important one.  When I was setting up Behavioural Science at Notre Dame I became acutely aware of the conundrum of setting up a degree focussed on the development of critical community psychology skills and APS requirements.  Discipline legitimation is a serious ethical issue for academics which must be faced honestly. It has real effects on employment possibilities for the next generation who may be paying for their degree for years to come.
Unfortunately, community psychology's status and some employment issues are going to be affected by new national and APS legislative requirements and this looks set to increase rather than decrease.  I think that Heather Gridley's voice is an important one in terms of understanding the structural changes and where we need to target our advocacy. SCRA may also have "lessons learned" from their historical struggle with the APA which may be of some value.  Although the context is different the APA/clinical vs. community division is common to us both and some of their resources and strategies may be applicable.

Again, I offer my thanks to the conference organizers for their proficiency, hard work and the quality conference they orchestrated for the benefit of  all.
Thanks,
Katie

Dr. Katie Thomas
Senior Research Fellow
Curtin Centre for Developmental Health
Telethon Institute Child Health Research | Roberts Road | Subiaco | Western Australia
Email katie.thomas at curtin.edu.au

CRICOS Provider Code 00301J Perth 02637B Sydney

This email is intended only for the use of the individual named above and may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this message. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and are not necessarily the views of the Faculty of Health Science, Curtin University of Technology. Before opening any attachments please check them for viruses and defects.

Vision : "Curtin will be a leading University in education and research serving its wider region"