[Commpsych] FW: defining what makes community psychology special

Julie Ann POOLEY j.pooley at ecu.edu.au
Wed Mar 19 19:50:33 WST 2008

I feel I must reply to this letter.  I must say I am intrigued that the way in which change is being constructed.  I would have thought that a field like community psychology is aware of the process of social change and the political nature of the processes that surround it.

The construction of change as one of closure is interesting and yet I am so aware of so many conversations about change in ECU's course structures and processes and yet very few people have actually talked about it with us at ECU.

Is everything that changes automatically negative? I would have thought that community psychologists more than anyone  would understand the value of observation, political action and thought, looking at strengths and competence, adaptation, and resilience. It is not the first time we have been challenged ( and it will not be the last). Our challenge is about how we react and how we construct our future.  I can honestly say that I am looking forward to the training of our future community psychologists at ECU.  There will be an evolution, as we have been from our forefathers and foremothers. Does this make them worse, I think not. It makes them different. However those in the position of training them are in a privileged role as they have the ability to bring 40 years of research, knowledge and passion to a great sub discipline.

The other part of all of this is that while we are lamenting these internal changes, we as psychologists are losing ground.  We are losing out to other disciplines and we are not keeping our political eye on the ball.  So what, some might say? So what indeed. If we are truly interested in the values we espouse then we should be across the changes in the mental health field generally. We should be adapting and embracing and defining our new future and future students.

Julie Ann Pooley PhD

Senior Lecturer

Coordinator for Community Psychology Stream

School of Psychology and Social Science

Edith Cowan University (CRICOS code: 00279B)

100 Joondalup Dve

Joondalup

WA 6027

Tel: +61 8 6304 5591