[Commpsych] (no subject)

Adrian Fisher Adrian.Fisher at vu.edu.au
Fri Jun 22 07:35:37 WST 2007

Dear David (and Dawn) and all,

A critical perspective is one of the tools of our trade, or should be.
However, within a critical context, we can understand some problematic
elements and attempts.

One critical element I always find fascinating is semiotics, as we know,
about symbols, communication and construction of meaning. How the
communication is constructed, what it is intended to convey, and what
the receivers perceive are aspects of the chain that may be broken.

Earlier there was some discussion on SCRA-L about critical approaches
and personalisation. How and where a critique is framed, and even by
whom, carries so much meaning. Placing the critical approach without the
context seems to remove the intended meaning from the communicator.

Another problem is the one I was taught way back in second year
psychology. The logical fallacy ad hominem, Dawn.

However, let us return to the original case. An email is circulated to
celebrate an Australian student's award of a thesis prize (and a thesis
is not usually at the standard for which the Robyn Winkler Award is
made). David responded, addressing the email to the recipient, and made
a number of comments. Perhaps this is the paragraph that we can contest
whether the conveying of meaning is critical theory or perhaps
mis-spoken:

I am reluctant to leave unchallenged the positioning of your work to
support an implication that US CP has any legitimacy at all in setting
criteria of excellence in community psychology against which community
psychology around the world in general or Australia in particular should
be judged. In my view community psychologists around the world need to
resist having their work compared against a US CP measuring stick.

To me, this is an attack not on US hegemony, it is an attack on a
student receiving an award. Condemned as a fellow traveller. It is also
contains a couple of variations of argumentum ad hominem.

David and I have discussed on a number of occasions the issues of
problems of US domination in CP, and psychology more generally. We have
agreed that there is the need for finding ways in which this domination
can be challenged and alternatives developed in order for local and more
appropriate models to be implemented.

However, we differ in the tactics, in the levels of engagement, and on
the aspects of what is to be done at the local level. For many of us in
Australia working in community psychology education programs, the
necessity of international engagement is an imperative. The necessity to
demonstrate to those who make decisions that this is a discipline that
is vital, active and has recognition beyond our borders is an
imperative. Otherwise, our programs are likely no to be in existence for
too much longer.

Adrian

Adrian Fisher PhD
Associate Professor