[Commpsych] Fw: Children and climate change - hot off the press (and free to download for a limited time only)!

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Sat Oct 1 19:26:20 AWST 2022

Hi everyone

Just sharing this news of a wonderful new e-book by Ann Sanson, Susie Burke and colleagues:

Elements in Child Development: Children and Climate Change
Ann V. Sanson<https://www.cambridge.org/core/search?filters%5BauthorTerms%5D=Ann%20V.%20Sanson&eventCode=SE-AU>, Karina Padilla Malca<https://www.cambridge.org/core/search?filters%5BauthorTerms%5D=Karina%20Padilla%20Malca&eventCode=SE-AU>, Judith Van Hoorn<https://www.cambridge.org/core/search?filters%5BauthorTerms%5D=Judith%20Van%20Hoorn&eventCode=SE-AU> and Susie Burke<https://www.cambridge.org/core/search?filters%5BauthorTerms%5D=Susie%20Burke&eventCode=SE-AU>

The existential threat posed by climate change presents a challenge to all those concerned about the next generation. This Element reviews and discusses its implications for the development of children (ages zero to twelve) today and in the future, and for the parents, teachers, researchers, and professionals who have responsibility for children. This Element adopts a bioecological model to examine both the direct impacts on children’s physical and psychological well-being and indirect impacts through all the systems external to the child, emphasising the greater vulnerability of children in the Global South. Given the evidence of well-founded climate anxiety, this Element examines children’s coping strategies and discusses the key roles of caregivers and schools in protecting and preparing children to face current and future challenges – with knowledge, hope, and agency as central themes. This Element highlights many under-researched areas and calls for action by all those caring for and about children’s future.

The book is part of a series titled Elements in Child Development and it's free to download for a short time only. There's also a video clip of Susie and Ann talking about how they came to write it:
https://www.cambridge.org/core/elements/abs/children-and-climate-change/B929244F274C8AB6E7E6B1E76456547D

Highly recommended! If you can't access the download via the link, you can contact Susie directly at drsusieburke at gmail.com

Heather Gridley OAM FAPS

Honorary Fellow