[Commpsych] Community Psychology still rocking this Spring - Round 3: Psychosocial Foundations for the Common Good - this Tuesday 8 November 12-1.30pm AEDT

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Sun Nov 6 16:01:04 AWST 2022

Don't miss the final instalment of our Community Psychology Spring Carnival - for those who haven't seen him before, Isaac is a mesmerising presenter, and the topic couldn't be more relevant to the increasingly polarised and unequal world in which we find ourselves (along with the people and communities we work with)- register here <https://psychology.org.au/event/23329> right now!

Wellness, Fairness, and Worthiness: Psychosocial Foundations for the Common Good

Professor Isaac Prilleltensky (University of Miami, USA)

Webinar 8 November 2022, 12 noon - 1.30pm AEDT

1.50 CPD Hours APS College CPD | Event number: 23329

While behavioral and health sciences have mainly been concerned with the private good, there is an urgent need to understand and foster the collective good. Without a coherent framework for the common good, it will be extremely difficult to prevent and manage crises such as pandemics, illness, climate change, poverty, discrimination, injustice, and inequality, all of which affect marginalized populations disproportionally. While frameworks for personal well-being abound in psychology, psychiatry and counselling, conceptualizations of collective well-being are scarce. Our search for foundations of the common good resulted in the identification of three psychosocial goods: wellness, fairness, and worthiness, which concurrently advance personal, relational, and collective value. They also represent basic human motivations, have considerable explanatory power, exist at multiple ecological levels, and have significant transformative potential. Prof Prilleltensky will use empirical evidence to show how justice leads to experiences of worthiness, which enhances wellness.

Please click here for bookings and more information: APS Events: 23329 | APS (psychology.org.au)<http://be.psychology.org.au/ls/click?upn=xftCvoRZRbcW1HUP8zfNNHlKHn-2BRycHmgiAtSqrfIbBWmYh1ngeIc9Zxu-2BvobSRfIoIF_LkNaGjuMCrzJijP9uh5w51wVkQcRLq1ZICyrjgtqsTs0CM1mbFlCVe7Dmmp7Fe11USTyOsmWWMx1lDEtYjr-2BaA2q2hcenbzcosYhKPo9VB54Ev8hyY0egUXy83HKTELGa-2BsCmLpJvYKze2EAVxx0XEEk2IMUSyj1qx8PipZGg5Q1htEVUzfkKm0rkuVVyWOuBR6aPauFLsbKrSCruA1P6hF7DD5HPgmYEsnhczdt650-3D>

NOTE: for our last event with Alex Haslam, the recording option failed 🙁 but we've been assured that won't happen this time if you can't attend the live session. But if you can, bring the popcorn, or just your lunch (or brekky in WA).

Heather

Heather Gridley OAM FAPS

Honorary Fellow

College of Health and Biomedicine