[Commpsych] REMINDER: APS | 2020 Board of Directors election voting and AGM online next week

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Tue Oct 6 10:40:21 AWST 2020

Dear colleagues

As those of you who are APS members would be aware, it's APS election time again, and a number of you have asked me for my views - this year we have:

  *   3 candidates for an early career position on the Board (we all get to vote on this - only the actual candidates need to qualify as 'early career') - Ceara Rickard, a generalist psychologist from Tasmania, Eleanor Parker, a counselling psychology registrar from WA, and  Sara Quinn, a clinical psychologist and lecturer from the ACT.
  *   2 candidates for one other Board position, which is reserved for a Clinical College member, so only Clinical College members can vote for that one - either the current College Chair Brendon Meagher or former APS President and Clinical College Chair Anthony Cichello, both from Victoria.

You can find vote electronically by following the e-trail at: https://www.psychology.org.au/About-Us/our-governance/board-of-directors/APS-Board-Election<http://www.psychology.org.au/>  The APS system is optional preferential, so you only need to number the squares of your preferred candidate(s), and not the whole list.  And if you don't think you know the APS candidates well enough to make an informed choice, read their statements and videotaped answers to member questions online.
Now that I'm not working in the APS National Office, I can say a bit more about the candidates - what could possibly go wrong?! SO...
Of the three early career candidates, I will certainly be voting for both Ceara and Eleanor, whose statements and backgrounds look very impressive. Both have made reference to Indigenous and social justice issues and have worked in public sector positions such as rural youth mental health and juvenile justice. I don't know the other candidate, but it is clear that her APS involvement has mostly been via the Clinical College, and I strongly believe that the early career position on the Board should be taken by someone whose primary focus is on the needs of all graduates and early career psychologists, not just those from one group.

And if you are eligible to vote for the Clinical College position, I would strongly urge you to vote for Brendan Meagher, mainly because, as the other candidate's video and statement make clear, he only sees himself as representing clinical psychologists, whereas Board members are meant to serve the entire membership.

Finally, it's important to note that the AGM will be held online next week, on Friday 16 October at 4pm, so you can join and vote online even if you're not attending the virtual APS Conference that weekend. if you can't attend the AGM but want to vote on any motions, you will need to give your proxy to someone attending by Wednesday afternoon, 14/10 4pm AESDT latest. I'm planning to attend and I'm happy to take your proxy - click here for details of how to appoint a proxy. <https://www.psychology.org.au/About-Us/our-governance/annual-general-meetings/2020-Annual-General-Meeting#How_can_I_appoint_a_proxy>

Feel free to ask me privately for more info on any of the above.

Best regards

Heather

(Apologies for any cross-postings)

Heather Gridley OAM FAPS