[Commpsych] APS Board elections - time to vote

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Sun Sep 16 21:31:03 AWST 2018

Dear colleagues

As those of you who are APS members would be aware, it's APS election time again - this year the process is rather complicated (but in some ways possibly simpler) due to the new governance model that was voted in last year. All voting is optional preferential, which means it's wise to only number people you could actually live with being elected. You can vote electronically by clicking the Board of Directors button at:  https://www.psychology.org.au/  and following the e-trail.   Do watch the videos - I think they are quite helpful.
Everyone gets to vote for the Early Career member position, for which there are 4 candidates - I haven't decided who to vote for there. All but one of the candidates has a clinical psychology background, and the other is connected with the RAPS (reform group favouring a single-tier Better Access to Medicare model)
Members of a College other than the Clinical College get to choose from 5 nominees:  Two are Counselling College members, one supporting access for counselling psychologists to Tier 1 (currently confined to clinical psychologists), and one supporting a single tier model (although it should be noted that neither option is an APS decision to make); one is an organisational psychologist from SA, and one is the outgoing Chair of the Educational & Developmental College, and also a Counselling College member. The fifth candidate is a Vic Uni graduate and Community College member.  So you have a number of choices - I'm happy to tell you privately who I voted for and why.
Registered psychologist APS members who do not belong to a College can elect one director from the Division of General Practice - there are 3 candidates here.

When you log in your eligible categories will automatically come up - unfortunately Associate Members of Colleges (ie Masters/Doctorate graduates on the path to Area of Practice endorsement) can't vote for either the College category or the General Practice category.  Your vote needs to be in by 10am Thursday 27 September to count.

Finally, if you can't get to the actual AGM on Friday 28 September in Sydney, you need to appoint a proxy if you would like to vote on any motions to be decided at the meeting. I will be attending the meeting and can take proxies. (You don't need to ask my permission, or anyone else's you might like to nominate - just go online here<https://www.psychology.org.au/> or check the AGM notice you should have received from APS last week)
And if you don't think you know the APS candidates well enough to make an informed choice, read their statements and videotaped answers to member questions online - and if all else fails, ask me :)
So do it now
Heather

(Apologies for any cross-postings)

Heather Gridley
Honorary Fellow
Victoria University
Melbourne, Australia

E: heather.gridley at vu.edu.au<mailto:heather.gridley at vu.edu.au>
Ph: +61 419113731

psychology - Home | APS<https://www.psychology.org.au/>
www.psychology.org.au
We are the peak body for psychologists in Australia and represent over 23,000 members. We advocate for the profession of psychology, and provide benefits to support members.