[Commpsych] APS members - less than 1 hour to lodge your proxy if you cant attend Tuesday's EGM in person

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Sun Jun 4 21:59:19 WST 2017

Thanks very much for engaging in this discussion Trudy - we don't have enough conversations on this list 😊

I completely sympathise (and mostly agree) with your argument about the inequity within the profession and especially in the Medicare rebate set-up.

But the governance review has nothing to do with that debate, and the proposed changes will mean the Clinical College is guaranteed just one place on the Board (because it has four times as many members as any other college, and more than all others combined), while non-clinical psychologists are quaranteed three places (one from the other colleges, and two generalists).  Then there is one academic position and one for an early career psychologist. Even if both of those positions are taken up by clinical psychologists (which is by no means necessarily the case), it will still just be 3 each. And I see no reason why a non-clinical president could not be elected if that 'faction' represents the vast majority of members, as is being claimed. So I genuinely don't understand why there is such strident opposition to the proposed changes, beyond a general (and largely understandable) mistrust of 'the establishment'.  And we know too well where the raw urge to 'drain the swamp' has taken the USA 😞

Now that the proxies have closed, I hope people who haven't lodged one can get along to one of the 10 meetings around the country and make up their own minds.

Best regards

Heather

Heather Gridley

Honorary Fellow