[Commpsych] FW: White Ribbon Day Joint Statement

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Tue Nov 24 12:43:13 WST 2015

Dear all

Just sharing the attached joint statement developed by the Royal Australian College of Physicians on behalf of Australia's key medical and health professional peak bodies for release on White Ribbon Day. The Australian Psychological Society is more than happy to support this initiative, and our logo is included in the letter. Please feel free to share this with your colleagues, along with the psychology-specific information below.

The APS is all too aware of the social and health burden wrought by violence against women. The latest issue of the APS member magazine InPsych features a special series of articles on Domestic Violence: http://www.psychology.org.au/inpsych/2015/<http://www.psychology.org.au/inpsych/2015/?utm_source=Homepage&utm_medium=Hero&utm_campaign=InPsych_Octobert_2015>http://www.psychology.org.au/inpsych/2015/

In August the APS urged the Government to implement all recommendations made in the recent Senate Inquiry’s report into domestic violence in Australia:
http://www.psychology.org.au/Content.aspx?ID=6852

We also aware of the RACGP's Guidelines Abuse and violence: working with our patients in general practice, and plan to develop psychology-specific practice guidelines in 2016: http://www.racgp.org.au/d<http://www.racgp.org.au/download/Documents/Guidelines/Whitebook/whitebook-4thedn.pdf>ownload/Documents/Guidelines/Whitebook/whitebook-4thedn.pdf<http://www.racgp.org.au/download/Documents/Guidelines/Whitebook/whitebook-4thedn.pdf>  Perhaps when we are encouraging our members to wear a white ribbon on Wednesday to indicate their willingness and availability to discuss violence-related concerns, we could all draw attention to the RACGP Guidelines?

Best regards

Heather

Heather Gridley

Honorary Fellow