[Commpsych] FW: A level playing field? Ethics and power in sport

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Mon Apr 8 13:05:10 WST 2013

________________________________
From: Bronwyn Cran on behalf of Dean Arts
Sent: Monday, 8 April 2013 12:39 PM
To: College of Arts
Subject: [college.arts] FW: A level playing field? Ethics and power in sport

Dear Colleagues,

It gives me great pleasure to invite you to attend a special lecture presented by the Victoria University Chancellor’s Lecture Series – a thought provoking annual series providing an opportunity to engage with thought leaders and experts to stimulate debate and discussion on issues of importance to the wider community. As part of our commitment to contributing to knowledge exchange, we are delighted to be hosting Mr Peter Gordon from Gordon Legal, and President of the Western Bulldogs Football Club, to give the first Chancellor’s Lecture for 2013:
A level playing field? Ethics and power in sport
on Tuesday 16 April at 6.30pm at Victoria University’s City Flinders campus
(refer to attached invitation for details)

I think you would agree that this is a most relevant and interesting topic which is being hotly debated at all levels of the media, within sporting organisations and among sports administration professionals. What is the future of professional sport, and does it contain drugs, match fixing, gambling and organised crime?
The principle of equalisation has a strong historic and intellectual base. For well over a century the sports industry has recognised the value of a level playing field. But what are the mechanics of competitive balance in professional, modern day sport? How do we ensure checks and balances in the system remove unfair advantage through illegal or banned substances?
Peter Gordon is the President and Chairman of the Western Bulldogs Football Club, and internationally renowned for his work on numerous landmark cases. He was a successful lawyer at Slater & Gordon for 30 years, and since leaving Slater & Gordon has commenced class actions around the world for thalidomide survivors.

It would be wonderful if you could contribute to this important evening of knowledge exchange in this area of strategic importance to the University.

Please RSVP by Tuesday 9 April to vuevents at vu.edu.au<mailto:vuevents at vu.edu.au?subject=RSVP%20to%20Peter%20Gordon%20lecture>.

Mr George Pappas
Chancellor
Victoria University
[cid:image003.png at 01CE24B7.24504AE0]

This email, including any attachment, is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. It is confidential and may contain personal information or be subject to legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient any use, disclosure, reproduction or storage of it is unauthorised. If you have received this email in error, please advise the sender via return email and delete it from your system immediately. Victoria University does not warrant that this email is free from viruses or defects and accepts no liability for any damage caused by such viruses or defects.