[Commpsych] FW: 2nd Global Conference: Queer Sexualities: Sydney, Australia; 11-13 February 2013

Lauren Breen Lauren.Breen at curtin.edu.au
Sun Jul 1 05:27:08 WST 2012

From: Chamberlain, Kerry [K.Chamberlain at massey.ac.nz]
Sent: Friday, 29 June 2012 8:45 PM
To: ischp at lists.massey.ac.nz
Subject: 2nd Global Conference: Queer Sexualities: Sydney, Australia; 11-13 February 2013

2nd Global Conference: Queer Sexualities
11th to 13th February 2013
Sydney, Australia

Call for Presentations:
Following the success of the inaugural conference for this project, we are
pleased to announce a second conference, to be held in Sydney in February
2013. Our first conference saw global representation from a variety of
areas of study, including sociological
 studies, queer literary studies, queer art, music, performativity and
identity. This conference aims to extend that interdisciplinary dialogue
and gather voices from underrepresented areas of the globe. 20 years since
the reclamation of the word 'queer' by
 the LGBTQIA community, this conference would like to take a closer look
at broad themes of queer sexualities through time and space, non-normative
sexual constructions, and queer sexual identities from a diverse range of
perspectives by scholars working in
 various academic disciplines. Yet our meaning of the word queer is not
limited to non-mainstream sexuality, as we opt for inclusion of 'unusual'
heterosexual practices into the 'queer domai n' in order not to
discriminate but understand, include and accept.

Papers, reports, work-in-progress and workshops are invited on any aspect
of Queer or LGBTQIA Studies, including issues related to the following
themes:

1. Queer space, place, time and visibility: queer geographies, queer
spaces, queer places, queer venues, queering institutions, queering
language practices, occupation of space, heteronormative practice in
space/place, queer globalization, queer futurity, queer
 temporalities

2. Queer being and identities: LGBTQIA identities, queer bodies, queer
embodiment, queering age, queer intersectionality, queer race, queer
class, queer disability, queer performativity, queer subjectivity, queer
bioethics

3. Queer emotions and feelings: queer families, queer
bonds/bonding/legacies, LGBTIQIA parenting, public vs. private feelings,
affective economies

4. Queer theories and theoretical approaches: queer theory, gender
studies, straight queer theory, sexuality studies, disability studies,
queer postcolonial theory, queer ecocriticism, queer critical whiteness
studies, queer race studies, queer multiculturalism,
 queering ethnicities, queer epistemologies, queer pedagogies, etc.

5. Queer Arts: queer art, queer architecture, queer media, queer film,
queer TV, queerotica/queerporn, queer music, queer performances (not
performativity), queer literature, queer speech/language/linguistics,
queering museums/galleries/archives

6. Queer histories and social scientific studies: history, historiography,
historical shapings of queer, queer shaping of history, queering history,
queer sociological and anthropological studies, queering religion, etc.

7. Queer politics and crisis: Movements, activism, advocacy, politics,
emancipation, pride, liberation, queer hate, oppressive queer societies
and states, queer social reform, homonationalism, biopolitics, queer
secularity, queering ethics, queertopias, politics
 of gender, representations and resistances of non-normative corporeality

The Steering Group particularly welcomes the submission of pre-formed
panel proposals. Papers and presentations will also be considered on any
related theme. 300 word abstracts or presentation proposals should be
submitted by Friday 14th September 2012. If
 an abstract is accepted for the conference, a full draft paper, if
appropriate, should be submitted by Friday 23rd November 2012.

What to Send:
300 word abstracts or presentation proposals should be submitted
simultaneously to both Organising Chairs; abstracts may be in Word,
WordPerfect, or RTF formats with the following information and in this
order:

a) author(s), b) affiliation, c) email address, d) title of abstract, e)
body of abstract.
E-mails should be entitled: QS2 Abstract Submission.

Please use plain text (Times Roman 12) and abstain from using footnotes
and any special formatting, characters or emphasis (such as bold, italics
or underline). We acknowledge receipt and answer to all paper proposals
submitted. If you do not receive a reply
 from us in a week you should assume we did not receive your proposal; it
might be lost in cyberspace! We suggest, then, to look for an alternative
electronic route or resend.

Organising Chairs

Anne-Marie Cook and Rob Fisher: qs2 at inter-disciplinary.net
Gregory Luke Chwala: chwala.luke at gmail.com

The conference is part of the At the Interface programme of research
projects. It aims to bring together people from different areas and
interests to share ideas and explore various discussions which are
innovative and exciting.

Enquiries: qs2 at inter-disciplinary.net
Web address:
http://www.inter-disciplinary.net/critical-issues/gender-and-sexuality/quee
r-sexualities/call-for-papers/
Sponsored by: Inter-Disciplinary.Net To stop receiving event
announcements, click
here <http://www.conferencealerts.com/dashboard?whichTab=details>.