[Commpsych] FW: ICP CapeTown July 2012 - Abstract Submissions close Fri 27 Jan

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Thu Jan 26 08:08:31 WST 2012

Greetings everyone

This is a rushed and extremely belated call for anyone planning on or interested in attending/presenting at the the International Psychology Congress in Cape Town in July (not to be confused with the International CP one in Barcelona in June)?  Submissions close tomorrow (Fri 27 Jan) but I'm assuming that is midnight CapeTown time, which gives us a just little bit of breathing space. The Congress lists a range of tpopic areas under the borad heading of Psychology Serving Humanity (we wish) http://www.icp2012.com/index.php?bodyhtml=abstracts-topics.html  I have already submitted an abstract within a symposium on Teaching ethics in Psychology, but I'd be keen to hear from anyone who might like to join a symposium or other format on any of the following:

Decolonizing Psychology - Truth, Reconciliation and/or Treaty processes

Community Psychology in the Southern Hemisphere

Whatever happened to feminist psychology?

I've pasted below an abstract that I've presented on a previous occasion, and a gender-related one we put together for ICAP 2010 to give you a flavour of what I have in mind for the first two of these at least.

Cleaning up our white backyard – decolonising psychology in Australia.

Histories of Psychology traditionally link the discipline's scientific credentials to its Greco-Roman, Judaeo-Christian, western secular rationalist heritages.  The grand narrative of the discipline's celebrated late nineteenth century infancy was interwoven with the triumphal march of industrialisation and colonisation.  Psychology in Australia continues to be characterised by such discourses - it is difficult to identify a distinctive Australian psychology that reflects either the multicultural nature of post World War 2 Australian society or the ancient and living culture of its Indigenous people.  In the past decade however, community psychologists have worked in partnership with the small number of Indigenous psychologists to tackle the task of decolonising Australian psychology - or at least, of galvanising the Australian Psychological Society (APS) to reflect on and address its social and professional responsibilities towards Indigenous people, and more widely, to operationalise its Mission Statement tenet of enhancing community wellbeing.  This paper examines the role of community psychologists both as critical gadflies from the margins and as drivers of APS social policy development in the mainstream.

Psychological research and practice with women – problem or solution?

This symposium will critically examine ways in which psychological theory, research and practice with women can be conceptualized as ‘part of the problem’ or ‘part of the solution’ in promoting gender equity and socially just outcomes for women. Guiding questions and related learning objectives across the three papers include:

  *   How are our commitments to feminist values evident in our research and practice?
  *   How do we enact gender equity in our work as researchers, practitioners and educators?
  *   What psychological initiatives or achievements in gender justice are worth celebrating and sharing?
  *   How can the pedagogy of psychology be better directed in ways that ensure future generations can contribute towards improving the lives of women?

I'm happy to try and collate any offerings if I hear from you in the next 13 hours (ie before midnight Melbourne time today - Australia Day!)

Cheers

Heather