[Commpsych] Join the college before 30 September 2010

Catherine DArcy Catherine.DArcy at kchs.org.au
Mon Sep 20 11:51:55 WST 2010

For those considering joining the Community College, It is a good time now before the 30 September for a few reasons:

*         if people apply to become members of the college before 30 September 2010, they can, once accepted still get endorsed in that area of psychology by the Australian Health Professions Registration Association (the umbrella body for the PBA). Even if they are not quite up to membership standard, they should still apply before that date as the college and APS would work with them to develop a plan to reach that standard by June next year.
*         While Community Psychology is not currently among the areas of endorsement, this is something that APS and our college are working hard to change. If it should change, it would be an advantage to have put your application in by this 30th September date for a number of reasons. First the APS has an AGM in October and is planning to change its membership standards to become more consistent with the national registration, and secondly while we would argue for the need of a window of time for people to get applications in, we can't guarantee this would happen, and there is the risk that maybe a week's notice or less is given.

Of course these come on top of the usual reasons why it is good to join
*         Membership numbers are important for the college to be strong enough to take on the different challenges (These challenges such as whether or not we get  endorsement are important and can affect the continuation of the masters program in Australia).
*         (of course, also important) we do have Professional Development activities that are cheaper when you are a member, (those of us doing the national registration thing are going to need to be doing these)  so why not do it with the college that fits the values/interests and topics that you have as someone interested in community.

If you can't get it in by 30 Sept. Stay in touch anyway. We still don't know what the requirements will be if we do get endorsement, and APS and us will definitely argue for the need of a similar grace period for getting national endorsement with college membership in the same way as those from previous colleges have.

Reinstatement of past membership

Also for those past members of the college who want to reinstate, go to the reinstatement form on the link below. Be aware that you'll need to include a list of your Continuing Professional Development over the last 12 months. But don't worry, If you haven't done enough, again you would have some time to get your bridging plan in and do some extra PD/supervision/reading etc.

I encourage those interested in membership to also go to the link below. There has been a lot of updating of forms etc. on the website, so if you were confused by what steps to take in the past, take a look now and hopefully it will be simpler. All the forms you need are available at:

http://www.groups.psychology.org.au/ccom/join/

If you have queries, send them to me and the ones I can't answer, I'll try to find out and get back to you. Look forward to having your involvement in this college,

Catherine D'Arcy
MAPS (Community Psychology)
Membership Secretary, APS National College, Community Psychology

Pasted from APS website:

The grace period for lodging applications for APS College membership and supervision agreements for the purposes of APS College membership closes on 30 September. Applications must be received by the APS by this date in order for successful applicants to be eligible to apply to the Psychology Board of Australia (PBA) for area of practice endorsement under the transition arrangements (i.e., previous rules).

Please note that the APS will not be accepting applications for membership of a College during the period 1 October 2010 to 18 October 2010. This moratorium period has been established to align with the end of the PBA grace period and to enable the Society's 2010 AGM to take place on 16 October 2010, where a vote will be taken to amend the Generic Rules for Colleges.

In the event that the proposed changes to the Generic Rules for Colleges are passed, new requirements will be announced and new application forms will be published. Please re-visit this website for further details after 18 October 2010.

Catherine D'Arcy

Health Promotion Officer

Knox Community Health Services

1063 Burwood Highway

Ferntree Gully 3156

9757 6261

catherine.darcy at kchs.org.au<mailto:catherine.darcy at kchs.org.au>

DISCLAIMER: The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error. Thank you.