[Commpsych] FW: Reminder Tomorrow 11am: Neighbourhood Watching - a guest lecture by Michael Needham

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Mon Oct 18 07:50:06 WST 2010

From: Sue Dodd [Sue.Dodd at vu.edu.au]
Sent: Monday, 18 October 2010 9:57 AM
To: aehd at vu.edu.au
Subject: [aehd] Reminder Tomorrow 11am: Neighbourhood Watching - a guest lecture by Michael Needham

Please circulate to interested colleagues and students.

You are cordially invited to a guest lecture
Neighbourhood Watching by Michael Needham,
facilitated by
The School of Communication and the Arts,
Faculty of Arts, Education and Human Development
at the Footscray Park Campus,
Tuesday October the 19th at 11am in G368.

All welcome.

Michael writes; "I am an artist and social entrepreneur, and over the past 8 years I have been the steering force behind Neighbourhood Watching, a community arts project I initiated on the housing estate where I live in East London. The estate was built in 1967 as part of London's new wave of social housing, but is now located in one of Europe's most deprived boroughs.
Included as a case study in 'Creative Neighbourhoods', a Housing Corporation publication, and short-listed for a cultural contribution award by the Academy for Sustainable Communities, it continues to operate successfully with autonomy outside government regeneration policy.
The organisation is managed from my flat, a space recognised by residents as home, office, and creative studio; and running parallel is my multi-faceted role as artist, coordinator, and neighbour. It is this combined concept of living and working within the estate that is the catalyst for its success, and whilst government policy for strengthening communities is implemented through distant stakeholder partnerships, and a general consensus of 'What is right for that community', I have been able to tackle local estate issues through more personal insight. We should encourage and nuture leadership from within our creative communities, assigning roles and responsibilities to those who are closest to the communities in which they live."

Kind regards,
Sue Dodd
Teaching and Learning Coordinator
Visual Arts Coordinator
School of Communication and the Arts
Faculty of Arts, Education and Human Development
St Albans Campus, RM 8.220
Ph: 03 9919 2333

Art is not a thing; it is a way   Elbert Hubbard

This email, including any attachment, is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. It is confidential and may contain personal information or be subject to legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient any use, disclosure, reproduction or storage of it is unauthorised. If you have received this email in error, please advise the sender via return email and delete it from your system immediately. Victoria University does not warrant that this email is free from viruses or defects and accepts no liability for any damage caused by such viruses or defects.