[Commpsych] FW: [SCRA-L] The return of Senseofcommunity.com and introducing the SCI-2

Dawn Darlaston-jones ddarlaston-jones at nd.edu.au
Wed Mar 11 08:48:20 WST 2009

Apologies for cross posting.....

Dawn Darlaston-Jones, PhD

Senior Lecturer,

Co-ordinator, Behavioural Science

School of Arts & Sciences

University of Notre Dame

19 Mouat Street (PO Box 1225)

FREMANTLE

Western Australia WA 6160

Tel: +61 8 9433 0567

Fax: +61 8 9433 6073

e-mail ddarlaston-jones at nd.edu.au

CRICOS Code 01032F

IMPORTANT: This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you should not disclose, copy, disseminate or otherwise use the information contained in it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete or destroy the document. Confidential and legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you. The University of Notre Dame Australia is not responsible for any changes made to a document other than those made by the University. Before opening or using attachments please check them for viruses and defects. Our liability is limited to re-supplying any affected attachments.

From: SCRA-L Div27 General Membership List [mailto:SCRA-L at LISTS.APA.ORG] On Behalf Of David ChavisSent: Wednesday, 11 March 2009 7:03 AMTo: SCRA-L at LISTS.APA.ORGSubject: [SCRA-L] The return of Senseofcommunity.com and introducing the SCI-2

Hi!

I am pleased to announce that we have reactivated www.senseofcommunity.com , which will hopefully become your one stop for all things related to sense of community's theory, research, and practice. Unfortunately, we were attacked by spammers and all sorts of internet based undesirables. We hope the new site, which has added protections and features, will again become an international  forum for sharing, helping each other, and advancing our understanding and use of a sense of community and related topics.  If you registered before, unfortunately you have to register again, sorry.

We are also pleased to announce that we have posted the second revision of the Sense of Community Index (SCI-2) in the SenseofCommunity.com Library along with the original SCI in English and Spanish. The SCI-2 manual includes the instrument,  instructions for use, and initial reliability and validity information.  The SCI-2 was developed as a response to new knowledge about a sense of community that has emerged since the SCI was developed in 1985 as well as addressing (successfully) the psychometric and other concerns that have been raised in the literature. This instrument is based on the theory presented in McMillan and Chavis, (1986)  The initial finding are very encouraging. It has already been used successful cross culturally (Sri Lanka). That information will hopefully be posted soon.

I hope everyone interested will join this site and create an international forum for increasing our understand and use of a sense of community.

Best regards,

David

*****************************Our name has changed!

David M. Chavis

Principal Associate/CEO

http://app.icontact.com/icp/loadimage.php/mogile/374361/d72ec35e5325e0d4880e8561b526d7b6/image/jpeg

Community Science (formerly ASDC)

438 N. Frederick Ave., Suite 315

Gaithersburg, MD 20877

(301) 519-0722 ext.109 (office)

301-519-0724 (fax)

www.communityscience.com

www.senseofcommunity.com

Our new name, Community Science, reflects our organization's greater focus on its mission - to develop and use the knowledge that can change communities and other systems.  Our group practice of social change professionals is committed to building healthy, just, and equitable communities by providing: Research and Evaluation Services, Advisory Services, Capacity Building Products and Services, Initiative Management and Support.

***************************************If at any time you wish to UNsubscribe from SCRA-L, please send the following message to listserv at lists.apa.org (leave the subject line blank): SIGNOFF SCRA-LFor help with problems with your subscription, contact the listserv administrator at SCRA-LISTS at EZ2.net***************************************