[Commpsych] 11th Trans-Tasman Community Psychology Conference - First Call for Submissions

Lauren BREEN l.breen at ecu.edu.au
Mon Jan 5 20:02:40 WST 2009

***Apologies for Cross-postings***

First Call for Submissions

The 11th Trans-Tasman Community Psychology Conference will be held in the harbour city of Fremantle, Western Australia, from Wednesday 15th July to Friday 17th July 2009. Further information on Fremantle, the array of accommodation options from backpackers to 4½ stars, and places of interest is available from the following link http://www.visitfremantle.com.au/en/default.htm <http://www.visitfremantle.com.au/en/default.htm>

Exciting local, national, and international experts on topics of broad community interest are currently being organised and the information will be disseminated shortly.

The primary aim of the conference is to advance discussions concerning community psychology. The sub-themes centre on current and emerging discussions and debate within community psychology and are relevant to community psychology research and practice. The themes are written broadly to attract presenters and delegates from universities, community agencies, government departments, private organisations, and non-affiliated individuals.

Themes and Sub-themes

The conference theme is "Exploring Boundaries, Expanding Frontiers".

There are four sub-themes:

Crossing borders - How do we work in diverse settings? How do we apply community psychology in areas outside of it? How do we engage others? What have we learned and can we still learn from others? Presenters are encouraged to reflect upon their partnerships with other disciplines and across cultures and nations.

(Re)moving barriers - What hurdles currently impede us and how can they be overcome? What innovations are required? Where do we start?

Driving change - How do we create change? How do we translate theory into action? What skills do we require? How can training be improved? Where are we headed? Presenters are encouraged to share their successes of and lessons learned in the application of community psychology.

Challenging assumptions - How do we embed reflexivity? Presenters are encouraged to turn the lens onto themselves and/or community psychology as a discipline.

Submission Types

Individual papers:

Individual papers will be allocated 20 minutes (15 minute presentation plus 5 minutes for questions/discussion). The committee will attempt to schedule individual papers by theme. Please provide an abstract of up to 200 words.

Rapid Communication Poster Presentations:

Poster sessions provide an opportunity for delegates to discuss programmes and research with the poster author(s). Presenters will be asked to provide a short verbal summary of their poster (up to 10 minutes). Please provide an abstract of up to 200 words.

Symposia:

A symposium convener will organise three to five thematically-linked presentations for a 90 minute session. The convener of the symposium will also chair the session. Please provide an overall abstract indicating the broad topic (up to 200 words), plus the contributing presenters' names and topics (up to 200 words each).

Practice Fora:

Practice fora are 90 minute sessions focussing on contemporary issues relevant to community psychologists such as the examination of new ideas, the discussion of new trends, or the development of a position or an outcome (e.g., media statement, discussion paper). Practice fora are relevant to community psychology practice and they should permit and facilitate audience participation. Some suggested formats include workshops or panel discussions. The convener of each forum will also chair the session. Please provide an abstract of up to 200 words indicating the contributing presenters' names and the issues and processes of the forum.

All submissions should be in Word format and emailed to me at l.breen at ecu.edu.au

For further information, please see http://www.groups.psychology.org.au/ccom/news/ <http://www.groups.psychology.org.au/ccom/news/>  or contact me.

Kind regards,

Lauren

---
Lauren Breen, PhD MAPS
Postdoctoral Research Scholar
Centre for Social Research
School of Psychology and Social Science
Edith Cowan University
270 Joondalup Drive
JOONDALUP 6027
Western Australia

Email: l.breen at ecu.edu.au

Room: 4.234C
Tel: (08) 6304 5162
Fax: (08) 6304 5866

This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose or use the information contained within. If you have received it in error please return it to the sender via reply e-mail and delete any record of it from your system. The information contained within is not the opinion of Edith Cowan University in general and the University accepts no liability for the accuracy of the information provided.

CRICOS IPC 00279B