[Commpsych] FW: UTS News Alert - Conference to premiere film on the reality of the NT intervention Thur 2 Oct 6.30pm

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Mon Sep 29 15:55:33 WST 2008

From: Maqsood A K Alshams [mailto:maqsood.alshams at humanrights.net.au]
Sent: Wednesday, 24 September 2008 2:17 PM
To: Ausnews Network
Subject: UTS News Alert

  <http://www.newsroom.uts.edu.au/>

  <http://www.experts.uts.edu.au/index.html>

  <http://www.uts.edu.au/new/speaks/index.html>

  <http://sendstudio.itd.uts.edu.au/>

  <http://sendstudio.itd.uts.edu.au/contact.php>

Wednesday 24 September 2008

Conference to premiere film on the reality of the NT intervention

Next week the federal review into the Northern Territory intervention is
due to be handed down and a candid documentary on life under the
intervention for town-campers in Alice Springs will have its Australian
premiere at a Sydney conference on human rights.

Intervention, based on 40 in-depth interviews with people experiencing
the intervention first-hand, will have a free public screening on
Thursday 2 October as part of the 4Rs International Conference at the
University of Technology, Sydney.

The documentary by director Vincent Lamberti and Tangentyere Council,
offers a rare insight into the daily reality of store cards, alcohol
bans and quarantined benefits.

One interviewee told Lamberti, "We are not treated like human beings"
and another, "I was so embarrassed when I had no money on my store
card... I'm never going back to Woolworths again."

After the screening Lamberti and Trucking Yards town camp community
president and member of the Tangentyere film research team, Vanessa
Davis, will take part in a question and answer session about
Intervention.

The screening is at 6pm on Thursday 2 October in University Hall, UTS
Building 4, 745 Harris St, Ultimo. The film has been made with the
support of Caritas Australia and Oxfam Australia.

The 4Rs (Rights, Reconciliation, Respect, Responsibility) Conference,
from 30 September to 3 October, is the year's biggest debate on human
rights, citizenship, and social inclusion, with 200 speakers including
Robert Manne, Susan Ryan and former Human Rights Commissioner Sev
Ozdowski.

Highlights include:

*	300 days: Social inclusion and the Rudd Government with Laurie
Ferguson MHR, Sharon Burrow (ACTU), Robert Manne (LaTrobe University)
and Hurriyet Babacan (Victoria University) - Thursday 2 October at 11am
*	Human Rights report card; arguing for a human rights act for
Australia, the only democracy lacking a comprehensive charter or human
rights act to protect basic rights, with Susan Ryan - Wednesday 1
October at 1.30pm
*	In conversation with Professor Saskia Sassen (USA), leading
globalisation theorist and author of The Global City - Thursday 2
October at 2pm
*	The Jihad seminar, outspoken award-winning author Hanifa Deen
discusses her new book on the landmark Victorian racial vilification
case brought by Muslims against the "Catch the Fire" Christian group -
Wednesday 1 October at 1.30pm

The conference is presented by the UTS Cosmopolitan Civil Societies
Research Centre with volunteer management organisation S.A.V.E
Australia, the Sydney Mechanics' School of Arts and the Institute for
Cultural Diversity.

For more details of the program, visit the conference media centre:
http://www.the4rsconference.org/media.html

Ends...

Further Information:
4Rs Conference convenor, Professor Andrew Jakubowicz, Ph 0419 801 102
or Suzanne Henderson, Ph 0407 104 268
Tim O'Connor, Caritas Australia, Ph 0417 284 831, TimO at caritas.org.au

Issued by: Terry Clinton, UTS Media Office,
Ph (02) 9514 1623 or 0419 293 261

UTS: Top rated for teaching and learning in Australia