[Commpsych] FW: Announcing the International Positive PsychologyAssociation

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Wed May 7 16:50:33 WST 2008

Hi AJ and everyone

A bit belated, but I have just responded to a query from a Social Work student about the legitimacy of this same invitation, so I thought I'd post my thoughts on CommPsych and see how others respond:

Dear xxxx

I have seen this invitation to join IPPA in a few places, and it's quite legitimate as an organisation that is gathering lots of interest internationally, especially while one of its founders, Martin Seligman, is here in Victoria spending time at Geelong Grammar (for a huge amount of money, I understand).  It is refreshing to see a countervoice to psychology's tendency to pathologise and subdivide human experience into categories of disorder and dis-ease. I like Seligman's emphasis on what we do with our lives, as a basis for 'authentic happiness', rather than worrying excessively about how we feel from one moment to the next.

Personally though, I have reservations about the Positive Psychology movement. Some of them are encapsulated by the very fact that Seligman spends time at Geelong Grammar and not, say, Braybrook or Broadmeadows or Frankston (or Wadeye or Yuendemu, for that matter) where a few realities would make 'learned optimism' a much more difficult task.  I think the best way to 'teach' someone to be optimistic is to give them a real experience of success; otherwise it's a false promise.  There have been links made between positive psychology and life coaching, a concept that I think is designed to market psychological services to people who have the least need of them but the greatest capacity to pay exorbitant fees.

There have been other criticisms of the movement from those who see it as masking or denying 'negative' human emotions such as sadness, pain and anger.  Our VU head of psychology, Jenny Sharples,  wrote a paper in the Australian Community Psychologist a couple of years ago that included some references to these critiques - you can access it at: http://www.groups.psychology.org.au/Assets/Files/ACP_18(3)a.pdf <http://www.groups.psychology.org.au/Assets/Files/ACP_18(3)a.pdf>

Despite the theme on the IPPA website "Positive psychology is the scientific study of what enables individuals and communities to thrive", another concern of mine is that the movement is very much focussed on individuals rather than communities. There is very little reference to power dynamics or the structural/global causes of human misery.

I hope this is helpful - I'd be interested to know what caught your attention about the invitation, and where it fits with your own work and life experiences.

Heather Gridley
School of Psychology
Footscray Park Campus
Victoria University