[Commpsych] FW: petition from Australian Psychologists regarding use of torture in interrogation methods

Heather Gridley Heather.Gridley at vu.edu.au
Mon Sep 17 14:37:47 WST 2007

Hi everyone

Further to Grace's email about the online petition, which I have signed,
I would like to draw your attention to the forum that will take place at
the APS Conference next week.

I have been asked to represent the views and concerns of many community
psychologists, peace psychologists and others regarding the involvement
of psychologists in advising on and designing interrogation techniques
used on detainees at Guantanamo Bay and elsewhere. As you may know,
there has been considerable debate on this subject over the past two
year, culminating in a series of events at the recent APS Convention in
San Francisco, the outcomes of which I am still digesting.

I would be very pleased to receive any key points you would like raised,
or questions asked, in my 10-15 minutes at the Forum. I would also
appreciate your views about the most appropriate actions that might be
proposed - the online petition being organised by Arthur and Julie
request that the APS develop a policy on the involvement of its own
members in activities that might meet the UN definition of torture, and
in the event of such a policy being developed, that the APS consider
what action if any it should take in response to the stance of the APA
on this matter.

Feel free to email me, or the list (reply-all) with your thoughts - it
would be great to go into the conference supported by a groundswell of
opinion on whether the ethical commitment to 'do no harm' is a core or
non-core value for community psychologists. It may be that we can't
guarantee that anything we do will 'do no harm'. But one would think we
don't go in anywhere with the explicit intention of doing harm.

So, over to you

Heather

Public Forum to be Held at the 42nd Annual Conference of the APS on
Wednesday 26 September 5.30 - 7.00 pm

Lessons from Guantanamo Bay: Ethical Issues for Psychologists Working in
the Military, Intelligence and Detention Facilities

Abstract: The forum initially examines the American Psychological
Association's position on psychologists working at Guantanamo Bay. It
then explores a range of ethical issues relating to psychological
practice in the military, in intelligence roles and in detention
settings. It considers whether current professional Codes of Ethics are
sufficiently robust to provide guidance for psychologists working in
those roles, whether professional associations are able to enforce their
Codes of Ethics in those contexts of practice, and whether professional
associations are in a position to determine where and for whom their
members should not work. Ways of ensuring that members practise
ethically are discussed.

Speakers/Panelists
*	Prof. Graham Davidson (Chair),
*	Prof. Gerald Koocher (APS Conference Keynote and immediate past
President of the APA)
*	Ms Heather Gridley (Victoria University; APS College of
Community Psychologists)
*	Dr Christopher Lennings (The University of Sydney)

Order of Business
*	The Chair will introduce the speakers/discussants, summarise the
issues for discussion and outline the how the forum will proceed. (max.
5 minutes)
*	The Chair invites Professor Koocher to provide a brief summary
of the controversy that has arisen since the APA released its Report on
Psychological Ethics and National Security (PENS) and the APA's current
position on psychologists' engagement with the military. Professor
Koocher offers some brief observations on his visit to Guantanamo Bay.
*	The Chair invites Heather Gridley to summarise concerns
expressed by the APS College of Community Psychologists and the APS
Psychologists for Peace Interest Group on the APA's perceived position
on psychologists working at Guantanamo Bay and on psychologists'
engagement in interrogation of detainees.
*	The Chair invites Dr Lennings to comment on issues arising for
psychologist working in immigration detention settings and on the
conditions under with psychologists might practise ethically in such
settings.
*	The Chair invites Professor Koocher to respond briefly to Ms
Gridley's summary of concerns and points raised
*	The Chair invites questions from the floor to be directed to
speakers through the Chair. (25 minutes)
*	The Chair briefly summarises issues of ongoing concern, and
thanks the speakers and delegates in attendance. The Chair closes the
Forum.

Heather Gridley
School of Psychology
Footscray Park Campus (Monday, Tuesday & Thursday)
Victoria University
PO Box 14428
Melbourne VIC 8001
Australia