[Commpsych] (no subject)

Adrian Fisher Adrian.Fisher at vu.edu.au
Thu Jun 21 08:16:48 WST 2007

Dear David and other list members

I first read this email a couple of hours ago, early in the morning. My opinions have not changed.

To me, the email is an insult to Lizzie and her work, and an insult to Brian (noting my earlier email of congratulations is in there). Brian's email was a celebration of a great achievement, not a value judgement on other theses that were not submitted or did not receive and award.

What really gets to me is a lack of understanding of the context in which such awards are sought and the meanings that they may have in the location -- especially the importance of international recognition.

Why have I nominated students for SCRA awards? Why will I in the future, if I think the theses are good enough? Why will I encourage other student and supervisors to nominate?

1 There are no local awards, nor are there any other international ones that I know of that are relevant. Perhaps if the European Association had an open award Australians could win that too.

2 Such awards do provide recognition of the work of the student, and can assist them in their career progression.

3 In a marginalised area such as community psychology in Australia, such awards are extremely important in the organisational politics. They provide the supervisor with kudos from an international jury -- so important in most of our psych departments where we are often not seen as core business. In some universities there is big news made of a student paper receiving an award at a conference, here we can celebrate a PhD being judged in an international context.

4. For community psychology in Australia, marginalised within the profession, such awards provide international backing for the quality of the work done. It is the type of news that is spread around to demonstrate that here is an area working world standard.
It helps community psychology in positioning itself in the political argy bargy of things like the APS.

At another level, nominating for awards from SCRA is a political move. It is aimed at showing those in the US that there is a vibrant, active, and creative community psychology outside from which they can learn. Good enough to take their prizes.

So, again congratulations to Lizze on her thesis and to Brian on his supervision. Congratulations to Chris Sonn and Iain Butterworth on their earlier awards, congratulations to me as the supervisor of Iain and Chris, and congratulations to the students and supervisors who will nominate and win these awards in the future

Adrian

Adrian Fisher PhD
Associate Professor
School of Psychology -- Footscray Park Campus
Victoria University
PO Box 14428
Melbourne VIC 8001
Australia